Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

When You Feel Like You've Been Drugged

Don't you hate it when you take a nice afternoon nap only to wake up and feel almost more exhausted than before you napped? I really hate it. And I'm battling the overwhelming urge to go back to sleep until I no longer feel drugged.

If there's one thing I definitely like about my husband's new work schedule, it's that he gets Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off every single week. :) wonderful! On Friday we took the puppies to a splash park and playground. Sabre loves to go down the slide! We finally got Tatum to try it this time too. She was a bit unsure at first, but after one time, she discovered that it really was a lot of fun. After running around and sliding for a bit, we walked to the other side of the park where there's a splash pad. They knew exactly where we were going after a little while and ran straight over to it. Sabre loves the water! Tatum loves the water as long as it doesn't splash on her. She'll lay it in all day long. After the park, we went to a friend's house and the puppies played with some other doggie friends. I tell you all of this because then, on Saturday morning, the puppies woke up, played for about 40 minutes, and then slept almost exclusively for the next five hours. And after that, the only reason they woke up was because we took them back out for some play time! It was a strange (but very calm and relaxing) Saturday morning.

Over the past few years, I have struggled with something I like to call the "never-aging disease." It's not scientific or anything, and most people disagree with me that it's a disease, but I struggle from it nonetheless. When I was about twelve years old, I was frequently told that I looked as though I were sixteen! I always took it as a compliment because I enjoyed looking older than I was. However, pretty much around that same age, something happened. I apparently stopped aging. Since I apparently looked about sixteen when I was twelve, and I apparently look sixteen right now, it seems as though I haven't aged in eleven years! I'm constantly told that I should be grateful that I look young. The popular phrase is, "Someday you'll be grateful!" Well let me tell you something, Folks. Today is not that day. You see, here's what happened. Travis and I went grocery shopping yesterday. He was getting some vegetables, and I decided to go get something we'd forgotten in the frozen foods section. At one point while I was walking back, I was walking the opposite direction of these three boys. The oldest of the three boys was probably thirteen or fourteen (it's hard to know, because I wasn't really paying a whole lot of attention to them). As I walked past them, the older one said in that flirty teenage way, "Hey..." and smiled at me. I smiled politely and said hi back, and continued on my way. And then I felt saddened by the entire thing. A boy in middle school tried to..what's the word? Flirt with me? I don't know. But I'm desperately ready to look my age, you guys. [sigh.] Travis was less than understanding of my distress. He tried to convince me that perhaps this boy just likes older girls, but we both know he didn't think I was twenty-three.

Still can't shake off the sleepiness. Blah. What's a girl to do? My husband is watching something about all the parts of an engine. Or how to assemble one. Or disassemble one. I have no clue, but he offered to let me listen to it. I dramatically declined. Ok, I've used all the brainpower I have. It's a wonder I get anything done around here.

1 comment:

  1. Unless duty is calling, go back to sleep. That's what I love about jet lag and not having to work anymore . .. I can sleep anytime. Even now in "old age" (since you have been talking about old people and old age in recent blogs)when I wake up at 2 am and can't sleep, I just go to my computer or my latest book and enjoy the solitude of the hour. I can go back to sleep at 4:00 if I am sleepy or later in the day. So while you are young and able to stay home with the puppies, sleep when you need it. I'm sure adjusting to Travis's 3:00 am to 2:30 pm shift means you might need to sleep at odd hours.

    Speaking of "not getting in line behind 'old people' (saw that in one of your blogs), I don't like to get in line behind young moms who have a fistful of coupons . . . their kids getting antsy at the wait! Give me "self-check out" anytime! :) I don't write checks either but did you know that the last two beauty shops I've frequented you have to write checks - they don't take credit cards (too much hassle for self-employed workers). Favorite time to shop? 8 am before people are out and about . . . after schools have begun. :) Favorite place to shop? with Papa at Costco . . . all the free samples and we always end up having a foot-long hot dog. If I'm alone - Albertson's for sure!

    ReplyDelete