Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Growing Up: It Just Happens.

I had a dental cleaning this morning. I typically enjoy getting my teeth cleaned. It's painless and the end result is clean teeth, so what could there possibly be to complain about? That's why, five minutes into my cleaning, when I started to feel clammy and nauseous and lost the ability to support my head, it came as a bit of a shock. I got my teeth cleaned back at the beginning of my first trimester when I was sick all day long and managed to survive the cleaning just fine! My poor hygienist had to call for some help to make sure I didn't completely pass out. The dentist came in, had someone give me some oxygen, and made me switch positions, hoping that it would get my blood circulating properly again. After a couple minutes, I could feel myself going back to normal. The dentist said he could tell I was doing better since there was some color back in my face. When I caught a glimpse of my face in the mirror, it was still pretty pale... which means I must have looked about as white as a sheet during my "episode." I felt just terrible that I put them through such an ordeal. Especially since I had no idea what caused it! I called my OB's office and spoke with my nurse who informed me that during pregnancy, dizziness/nausea/etc. (essentially a drop in blood pressure) is a fairly common occurrence if there's too much weight on my vena cava. Guess I should avoid such things. This whole "third trimester" thing is bringing on some lovely new symptoms. Hah.

I couldn't finish my whole breakfast this morning (leftover biscuits with sausage gravy) so I threw away what was left of it (which wasn't a lot), when Sabre stuck his face in the trash can and ate the gravy covered biscuit. Little brat. Now he's going to be even more convinced that the trash can is where all delicious things end up. On the other end of the scale, when we do the "leave it" command with Tatum (usually putting a treat in front of her or on her paw), she won't touch it. Even once we've told her she can eat the treat! She waits for us to pick it back up and give it to her. If we try to have both Sabre and Tatum "leave it" at the same time, Sabre usually eats the treat in front of him and the one in front of Tatum since she waits patiently for REAL permission. Such different personalities. Tatum also loves the baby smell that clings to me everyday after babysitting. She spends a good three minutes or so incessantly sniffing my left shoulder where I typically hold the two month old baby girl I now watch. It's going to be interesting to see what these doggies do when Baby gets here. :)

I couldn't focus my nesting into cooking and cleaning anymore--I had to get the nursery set up. The room we're going to be using (unless, of course, we move) was filled to the max with all sorts of random stuff (more like a storage room) and lots of empty boxes. And, of course, all the baby stuff in random bags/boxes/piles scattered throughout the room. It was time to rearrange and make everything look pretty. :) While we still have a few more things to do eventually, it's pretty ready for Baby. And then, if we do move, we'll just have to start all over again. Hah. Except now we have a basic idea of how we want to set things up. We got a rocker glider finally! Instead of spending over $500 on a nice one, we persistently checked craigslist and found a nice used one for $65. Yay! The cushions are pink, so we bought some material and are having it recovered. Thankfully my grandmother has a friend that does upholstery for a very reasonable price--the price we were quoted locally was over $350! We could order brand new cushions from the retailer for that price! Crazy! I was also told to check out a local consignment shop filled with all sorts of kid clothes, baby gear, and even some maternity stuff. I got a $50 diaper bag for $12! Travis helped pick it out, which means it looks absolutely nothing like a diaper bag (but it really is) and, therefore, he won't feel silly carrying it. :) We also got a play mat for $16--those things are ridiculously overpriced brand new! I'm a big fan of consignment shopping!

After a full day of insatiable hunger yesterday, today I've hardly felt the slightest pang of hunger. Strange. But my heartburn is in full gear and my back is nice and achy. I've started getting calf cramps in the middle of the night (thankfully not every night), and my overwhelming exhaustion seems to have returned. I'm also building up nice thigh muscles from standing up and sitting down while holding a baby. It's like doing squats on and off for a couple hours a day. As much as I can't wait to meet my little boy, I'm not sure I want these last seven weeks to fly by. I think it's a combination of wanting to move before he arrives (if it ever works out) and an underlying (and by underlying I mean very much at the forefront) fear of labor. Hah! Plus, even though I feel all sorts of kicks and jabs and flips and turns inside of me all day long, I'm not sure it's going to be real until he's born. It's like I was playing "house" just a few days ago and now I'm grown up and not playing anymore, and I don't know where the time went. That's not to say I'm not excited! I really truly am. I just don't know when all this "growing up" happened.

And look at that, I'm finally hungry.

2 comments:

  1. I hesitate to write a long comment because after writing my heart out on your last post, it disappeared. I know what I did. I clicked on publish and I guess I wasn't signed in properly. However, I'm looking down and I see "sign out" so I must be "in." Are you registered? You must be since you had a shower there. Don't go and buy everything . . . people are out there who would like to give a gift, I'm sure. :) If you are registered, people who live far away can buy and send.

    Just before reading your post, Chara called me and said, "I'm making a pizza/" She cannot eat gluten so while Michael and Emma went to get Papa Murphy's pizzas, she was getting to make her own on a gluten free crust putting all the things she likes. Meanwhile, I do understand your "fears." Even waiting for my fourth child to be born, I was dreading the labor part. Maybe you will be like Catherine and that baby just sips on out - just be sure you are at the hospital. If not, remember that only the mom can ask for help to relax and not be so stressed. After your mom was born in Hendricks Memorial in Abilene, I said, "Never again." But I did get pregnant and in Louisianan at Baptist Hospital giving birth was a dream . . . "twilight sleep." I wanted 12 more babies. And then there was Bangkok Nursing Home when Papa was standing outside in the hall talking to the preacher and I was not a happy camper with no help at all. The best part is that now Daddies can be in the labor/delivery room - and I bet Travis is going to be most wonderful man helping you along.

    Dentist chair - that happened to me and I was not pregnant! I had too much Novocain and I went into shock. When you described the oxygen, it all came back.

    Well, dear one, won't be long now. Can't wait to see all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place as God directs His plan! I love you - Nanny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home stretch, Cass. You're going to do great. And yes, the growing up thing does seem to happen all of a sudden. Go figure. Love you.

    ReplyDelete