Pages

Monday, October 28, 2013

Five and a Half Years Later and I'm Still Craving Cafeteria Food

I'm trying to be more organized. It's been in process for years. I'm pretty sure I've posted before about my desire to be a better grocery shopper. Unfortunately, I haven't improved in this area at all. My poor husband has been making grocery runs at least once a week for a while. He's started going when he gets off work at 2:30 in the morning. Apparently no one does their shopping at that time. Who would've thought?

All day today I've been trying to think of meals we could have. We eat a lot of spaghetti, but it's sauce from a jar. Granted, it's delicious HEB sauce and it's very convenient, but today I got a hankering for a different spaghetti. I want the spaghetti from my middle/high school cafeteria. This may not be the story for most people, but the lunches they served in the cafeteria were amazing. And one of my favorites was their spaghetti. It was so delicious. I never understood my fellow students complaining about the school lunches. I wish I could have the recipes for so many of the meals they served. One of which is spaghetti. I've yet to have spaghetti I've liked as much. I also loved their Potato-Corn Soup with Grilled Cheese, Beef and Potatoes with Rice, Tacos, Beef Stew, Risotto (which wasn't risotto at all, but it was delicious!), Nasi Kuning (Yellow Rice) with Fried Chicken, and I'm sure there were others. Sigh. Those wonderful cafeteria ladies sure knew how to cook. I always thought when I moved to the states I'd be bombarded with even more wonderful foods... but oh how I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, there are good foods here. But it's just not the same. The cafeteria food in college wasn't quite the same as the home-cooked (because essentially they were!) meals from high school. And now that I don't have the option of eating in a cafeteria on a daily basis, I miss high school. Wait, that doesn't sound right. I miss lunch in high school. Hah. Maybe there's some way I can track down those recipes.

I fall asleep really early now. And I sleep for a very long time. My body must need lots of recovery from all the nothing I do all day. Halloween is coming up. And I feel that since the neighborhood kids come by the house on days when they don't get free candy, I should go ahead and expect them for a night when they do. And I've never done the trick-or-treating thing. I mean, I went trick or treating once. When I was 16. It's a bit embarrassing to think about now, but I'd never been before and it was the only Halloween we were in the states for. And I thought free candy sounded great. And dressing up. I've always liked dressing up. I don't do it much now because, well, that would be weird, but when I was 16, I saw no harm in making a fool of myself around complete strangers. We were going to dress up the dogs, but I can't see either of them letting us put costumes on them and not trying to chew them off. I thought Sabre would make a great Batman. He's got the dark face and ears... but all the dog batman costumes were goofy and not big enough. I'm sure the kids would have loved it, but maybe another year.

(Can you believe how many sentences I write end in prepositions? It must be my style. How lovely that part of my writing style is so widely accepted as grammatically incorrect. Decipher that sentence, why don't ya?)

I've been enjoying fruit lately. Apples. And kiwi. And hopefully I'll have some strawberries tomorrow. Then I plan to make kiwi-strawberry fruit salad. Which is basically just sliced up kiwi and strawberries in a bowl. Together. But needless to say, I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

  1. My favs were the fried chicken and her meatballs - and I did try to get the recipes - no success. Ibu Ratih! I remember the lasagna from college and the Boston Cream Pie from high school. Yep, some favs. Glad I got to go to high school with you :)

    ReplyDelete