Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Can You Tell I Stay Home with My Puppies All Day Long?

I believe I've mentioned before that Travis and I used to live in an apartment. We moved into said apartment right after we got married. After living there a year and a half, we hadn't met a single one of our neighbors. Not one. But then, last November, we got a puppy. And everything changed. Sabre was a cute little puppy and got tons of attention from other dog owners and non-dog owners alike. He made fast friends with other dogs to the point where he would sit at the window and wait for one of his friends to go outside. When he played with his doggie friends, we talked with their owners. And we got to know them. And it was wonderful! It was nice to actually know some people in our apartment complex instead of feeling like antisocial recluses.

Then we moved away. Far, far away. (Not really that far...but I'm trying to play up the dramatics.) We were back at square one. The problem this time? We have a backyard, so we don't let the dogs out the front door into a common outdoor area where other people and dogs frequently pass by. (That sentence sounds confusing and terrible all at the same time, but I'm not sure I have the willpower to correct it. It breaks all sorts of rules to end a sentence with the word 'by', I'm sure.) Needless to say, Sabre and Tatum haven't had as many dog friends or people friends since we moved.

Until yesterday.

I harnassed and leashed up both puppies and we went outside. I figured at the very least, we could go for a walk. But I also knew there were a bunch of kids playing in the street right in front of our house. Perhaps they would give my puppies some much-needed outside attention. As soon as we got out there, the kids eagerly asked if they could pet the dogs. One thing led to another, and I let them off leash. They chased the basketballs and the kids (thankfully Sabre knows he's not supposed to literally catch the kids when he chases them), and it was wonderful. They were exhausted by the end. Tatum was exhausted before the end. She's an introvert. ;) The kids knocked on the door today and asked, "Can your dogs come play?" It was cute. And we went outside for a while. Another couple passed by walking their two dogs, and my puppies made new doggie friends. Sabre really scared the poor Hound dog when he approached her though. I had both my puppies in a sit-stay, but they're still working on mastering the concept. Tatum broke first and I confirmed with the other owners that their dogs would be OK meeting mine before I let Sabre go. Just to calm your fears that my dogs are crazy and out of control. :) After the initial uncertainty, both of the other dogs came around and seemed to enjoy the encounter. They didn't want to leave. Hopefully we'll see them again and our dogs can play a bit more. Yay for doggie friends! My puppies are now exhausted. They're fighting the desire to sleep.

Yesterday Sabre chased some chickens. Poor things were scared to death. They escaped though. I'm not sure what Sabre would have done if he'd caught one. My sisters are coming to Waco for Sabre's first birthday next weekend. Hah! They thought it was kind of silly to come for his birthday, but I told them it's not silly at all. While he won't know it's his birthday, we will. And we'll have fun! :)

I'm very ready for cooler weather. I can't explain it, but I now love cold weather. It's cleaner and fresher and just nicer all around. I mean, sure it's not great if you have to be outside a lot... but neither is hot weather. At least when you come in from the cold, you don't feel like you need to shower. And I like fall/winter clothes. I like boots. And long-sleeved shirts. I'm ready for fall. But since it's still in the high nineties everyday even though it's September, I think I still have some waiting to do. I just have to remind myself that while Texas summers are horribly miserable, the other three seasons are really quite nice. It's the silver lining.

2 comments:

  1. Love reading your blogs. I've tried to find the appropriate place to ask . . . "how in the world can your sweet husband play a bingo in Solitaire every single time. This means you have to have the letters in your hand to form a word . . and he does, time after time. I'm not embarassed because he is a brilliant man . . . but still, isn't there some kind of luck in there too?? :) I love playing with him and I appreciate him taking time to play. Meanwhile, glad that your puppies have brought people and other puppies into your life. I'm with you, Cass - cold weather, come on down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know what a BINGO in Solitaire is, but you got me curious.

    ReplyDelete