Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

It's the Little Things in Life

For the last week and a half, I have been anxiously awaiting this day. I considered making a paper chain, so I could tear a piece off each day until I got to this day and, in the process, build up even more anticipation. OK, not really. But I'm still pretty excited. You see, today is the day we get our full-grown fridge. After we moved into this house, it took less than a day for us to realize it's difficult and expensive to live without a fridge. So we went the very next day to get one. And do you want to know the wonderful thing about desperately needing an appliance? You need to know about two weeks before you need the appliance that you're going to need the appliance so you can have it delivered by the time you need it. Ah, the joys. We ordered a very nice (perhaps even too nice) fridge that was on sale, and then found out that it would be almost two weeks till they could deliver it. But alas, that day has finally arrived.

Since our big fridge was two weeks away, we had to buy a little compact fridge. (I know that's redundant, but I really want to emphasize the word "compact.") Inside this little fridge, we can fit a couple juice bottles of water (because if you live in Texas, you have to refrigerate water for it to be cold--the cold water tap is simply "not scalding hot"), some milk, a couple containers of leftover macaroni and cheese/pasta roni, a container of ham, and some cheese. I can't even begin to explain how excited I am to get a full-grown fridge today. And then, after it's delivered and installed, I'm going to the store to buy real groceries. This is when I learn how to be a good shopper. Gone are the days of going to the store for three items, every two days. I remember in college, one of my friends' moms picked me up from the airport after a break of some sort. On the way back to their house, she needed to stop at the grocery store. It was a riveting experience for me. She knew exactly which part of the store to start her shopping so that, in the end, the items that could get easily squished or broken (bread and eggs) were on top of the cart! The cart was packed like an art form. I was completely awed. At this point, I'm still a novice grocery shopper. I go back and forth from one aisle to the next and then back again because I forgot something. Or, even more often, I pick up something in one aisle that we don't really need but in order to make it, I need something else from the aisle we were just in. It's a big convoluted mess!

It's now almost 10:30 am. My stomach is already growling for lunch (story of my life), and it seems the puppies want to go outside. Tatum gives a little yelp when she wants me to open the door. The one nice thing about Texas summer heat is that the puppies hate the sun. They only want to stay in the shade. So, if I go outside and make them run around in the sun, they're exhausted after about ten minutes. And then they sleep for an hour and a half. Ah, the little things.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Cassie. The art of grocery shopping. First of all, glad you got a good "full grown fridge." I love this description of yours.

    Lists! I keep a magnet pad (thanks, Aunt Debbie) on the refrigerator and as I run out of things . . . make a menu . . . I add what I need to buy. But before I go to Albertsons (my favorite store), I redo the list according to the arrangement of the store . . . so that I don't go from aisle to aisle hunting. Of course if Brittany goes with me, I do have to aisle to aisle to find her!! :) I'm a loyal Albertson's shopper. I have friends there - mainly Ernie and Shemika. On the other hand, there is Papa the shopper - (1) only items on sale! (2) go to Tom Thumbs for this; Costco for that; (3) Sams for the other thing. To me you waste time to save some pennies! But to each his/her method of shopping, I say. I get what's on the list . .. Papa brings home special things . . . grapes, peaches, cherries, stuffed crabs, peach/mango protein soy (for making smoothies), and always steaks if on sale. Since we are both house chefs, we will continue to make our own way to our favorite grocery stores. Oh yes - Wal-Mart - Papa's favorite. Too big for me. So let us know when you have perfected your shopping art - one store or three; with or w/o Travis; list or no list. LOVE reading your blog, cj hegle!

    ReplyDelete