Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Toddler Words Are Hard to Type

Blue Bell Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream has made its way back into my life. I also bought some chocolate ice cream cones, so I get to eat my ice cream as if I went to an ice cream shop and paid a ton of money for one scoop of ice cream. It's entirely psychological, but it makes the ice cream taste better. It does, however, mean that I can't add the fudge sauce and strawberries and bananas I bought to go with my ice cream, so eventually I'll have to have a banana-strawberry split in a bowl. Switch things up once in a while. I could feel bad about eating ice cream everyday, but that really takes the fun out of it. Plus, ice cream is full of calcium and I'm really really terrible at getting all my calcium, so I'm actually being pretty health-conscious by guaranteeing some calcium every single day. It's for the baby. Raelyn needs lots of calcium. And chunks of cookie dough. ;)

Aside from that, I'm about to embark on a week of endless rain, no Mother's Day Out, no library Toddler Time, and absolutely no idea what I'm going to do to keep my child entertained. We can't go to the park or the zoo because of the stupid rain. We could go to a museum or an indoor play place, but I figure every single mom in the same situation as I'm in (or in an even more dire situation: more than one child!) will have the same idea and every indoor place will be packed out. So I might introduce Logan to playing in the rain at some point. I'm just dreading the inevitable "play rain" request I'll hear for the next month, regardless of whether there's actually any rain to play in, if he actually enjoys playing in the rain. But we'll see how the week goes. Maybe the rain will subside earlier than predicted and at least half our week will be salvaged. One can only hope.

Now that Logan is talking (and talking and talking and talking), I thought it was time to share some wonderful Logan Quotes with you. He's only at the two-to-three-word sentence phase, so we don't have any hysterically funny things yet, but I'm hopeful they'll come soon.

  • The other day, Logan asked for a snack of cheese and crackers. I sliced three slices of cheddar cheese and gave him five crackers. He devoured the crackers and ate one slice of cheese. Then he gave me a slice of cheese. Then he picked up the last piece of cheese, threw it on the carpet, and said, "Walk cheese." For some very odd reason, my 21 month old son wanted to walk on his cheese. I don't even know where he could have come up with such an idea. But since he had thoughtfully announced his intentions, I was able to rescue the cheese before he mashed it into our area rug. 
  • "Mommy floor" (which sounds more like "mommy war") is his all time favorite request all. day. long. Big pregnant mommy isn't allowed to sit on the couch. No, no. I get to sit on the floor while Logan plays with his toys the same way he'd play with them if I were on the couch. You want to know the worst part? Trying to get up off the floor multiple times a day. My very thoughtful husband thought he could simply help pull me to my feet. But no. No, when you're pregnant (at least, when you're me and pregnant) you have to get on your hands and knees and then step with one foot, using that first leg as a pushing off point for the rest of you, before finally ending up on your feet. If that sounds confusing and far too complicated, that's because it is. 
  • Travis introduced Logan to guitars this past week. He played Old McDonald Had A Farm, so now Logan asks for "tar E-I-E" constantly. I have to remind him that Mommy doesn't play the guitar, so he'll have to wait for Daddy to get home. Travis "gave" Logan his ukulele, which Logan calls "my tar." I tried to move it the other day because it seemed like it was in the way and Logan said, "My tar no Mommy's." Well OK then. 
  • Logan's word for yogurt is "ee aw." I have no idea why. I've tried to have him repeat "yo-gurt" slowly and carefully, but he always says "ee aw." And if he says "nack me," that means he wants a banana for snack. The number seven is the same word he uses for "hungry": honey. He still calls a spoon a "moo" and crackers are "dadu." However, I have hope that he'll get it eventually because he has always called a horse a "nee." Then he started saying it "neigh" and for the last few days he can officially say "horse." And "aws" was his word for any kind of sauce (BBQ, ketchup, salad dressing, applesauce). BUT, just this week, he has now differentiated between regular old sauces and applesauce! He now says, "appos aws." Woohoo! So there's hope yet for ee aw and me and dadu. :) 
  • And his newest word is "dice." It took me a couple days, but I now know that dice means toys.
Typing toddler words requires way too many quotation marks and commas. Goodness gracious. Anyway, he has so many words now, I can't even keep track of all of them. The downside of his broadening vocabulary is when he gets a bit too confident that we can understand him, so he starts jabbering on in absolute gibberish and then, when I can't understand him,  dramatically covers his face with his hands and flops on the ground. For a few days he would also mash his face into the floor, but he kept getting dog fur in his mouth, so he revised his dramatic "my parents don't understand me" routine. Seemed like a smart move to me. 

As for an ever-lovely pregnancy update, I sometimes pee four times an hour. Sometimes I can make it two hours, but that's only if I don't stand up and Raelyn doesn't kick my bladder. My ample bathroom visits, however, have given Logan plenty of time to learn how to climb in and out of the bathtub. My arms and legs and, let's be honest, my entire body is very achy most of the time. My feet don't like supporting all this extra weight, so by the end of the day (the end of the day is 7 pm, by the way) I flop onto the couch and await my daily foot massage from my incredibly sweet, wonderful husband. He's pretty awesome and basically the only reason I'm still capable of walking. Other than all the physical ailments, I've now started nesting a bit. I convinced Travis to let me get a nice rocker recliner for Raelyn's room, and will probably live in that chair a couple months from now. We painted her room a wonderfully relaxing shade of grey and I've cleaned a few doors and baseboards. Travis is going to build a changing table/dresser and very soon I'll be adding light pink touches to my baby girl's room. I'm embracing the girly-ness wholeheartedly--and I really like light pink. :) 

Alright, that pretty much does it. My son is slowly waking up and he's super cute when he's just woken up from his nap. (Assuming he took a nice long nap and is fully well-rested, of course.)

1 comment: