Pages

Thursday, March 12, 2015

When "Naps" Fall into the "Miracle" Category

I have cookies in the oven. We discovered that we had four containers of oats, so I decided to make some chocolate chip/raisin oatmeal cookies. I spent a lot of time researching how to make the best thick, chewy amazing regular chocolate chip cookies—and we now have a wonderful chocolate chip cookie recipe. I’ve shared it with my mom and sisters, and they agree that the cookies are out of this world. But see, I don’t have a wonderful amazing oatmeal cookie recipe… and I hate making bad cookies. I actually hate making bad anything. It makes me hate cooking, but I’m working on it. Anyway, moving on.

Today I used an ottoman, two laundry baskets, a toy box, and Logan’s toy/walker to block the fireplace and dining room. There are only so many times I can chase that kid down and he’s beyond obsessed. And he thinks putting dog food in his mouth is incredibly funny. I think he actually just thinks my reaction is funny, but I’ve been dealing with that my whole life. I’m an easy target because I react so dramatically—and the louder/more high-pitched I sound, the bigger his smile. He also got to try mashed potatoes today and loved them. And he ate enchiladas for dinner. Hah. We’ve discovered that he prefers grown-up food to his baby food. He’s thrown a bit of a fit here and there when we won’t give him more of our food. It starts when we let him taste our food, and then don’t give him more…he gets upset. Silly babies. He’s also decided that naps are beneath him, so his naps only last about half an hour or so. On special miracle days he’ll take a one-hour nap, but those are few and far between. On the upside, he now falls asleep in his own crib by himself within four minutes. He doesn’t stay asleep all night, but it’s much better than holding him down in my bed while he screams and tries to get out of my grip for forty-five minutes just to get him to sleep, and then we have to stress about him crawling off the bed and…it wasn’t going well. And you want to know how we did it? We let him cry. I gave in. I got to a point where he was screaming when I tried to put him down and he was screaming if I left him by himself. It was horrible for a few days and then suddenly he just started going to sleep all by himself. And it was kind of magical. Am I a big cry-it-out advocate now? Not necessarily. But if you’ve tried everything and nothing has worked, then I’d say it’s worth a shot.

OK, so it’s a new day now. Last night got late and sleep became more of a priority. On the upside, I can now tell you that my cookies actually turned out pretty good! They’re better today than they were fresh…which works out well since they’re only fresh for a very short time. I know you guys were on the edge of your seats. You can rest easy now.

Logan woke up at 6:45, nursed for half an hour, and then played with my eyelashes and eyebrows for about twenty minutes. Then he fell asleep. He absolutely loves playing with my eyelashes. I have no clue why or how he even picked out my eyelashes over everything else on my face. But it’s sweet and cute. I can’t for the life of me figure out what I used to talk about before Logan was born. My dogs?

My sister graduates from basic training next week. A bunch of family will be there, and we’re excited to all be together. A nice four-hour drive with a 9 month old should be fun. Hah! But we’re driving in the evening, so hopefully he’ll sleep as much as possible. He’s going to have a blast being around family and getting a lot of attention. He loves attention. You should see him in a restaurant—he tries to stare people down until they look at him. He’s a goof. J (There I go again! I can’t even go one paragraph without circling back to Logan. Goodness gracious.) My other sister visited us this past weekend. It was so wonderful having her here. We've tried to convince her to transfer to Baylor and live with us, but she's a bit resistant to the idea. I haven't given up all hope though. Logan and I are very persuasive. ;) 


You know how I said one-hour naps are few and far between? Well Logan has now been sleeping for an hour and fifteen minutes. Sometimes BIG miracles happen just when you've given up on them. [And he just woke up. Hah. Never speak (or type) your miracles out loud.]

2 comments:

  1. You incurred the jinx. If they're sleeping, you never (NEVER) mention it. My husband and I will not even give each other the "is sleep actually happening?!" look because the evil babies might sense it and purposefully wake up. Evil, cute, and terribly lovable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a hard time remembering the "never mention sleep" rule, but I've definitely discovered it's validity. Logan is like clockwork if I even think about how long he's been sleeping. So strange.

      Delete